Saturday, May 16, 2015

Last Post from Mongolia



5/16/2015
"And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future."

On Thursday, I rang out my service with Peace Corps. Ringing out is a tradition in many Peace Corps countries, where the leaving PCVs ring a special bell. The bell alerts all the staff that a PCV is done with their service and they all stop what they are doing, come out of their offices and clap and cheer for you. They all then came up to me and gave me hugs and thanked me for my service. It was really emotional and I was so lucky to have some of my closest friends drive into the city to watch me ring out. It was an amazing experience and really caused me to reflect back on my service.

What first comes to my mind when I think about my service in Mongolia, is the relationships I have built. I think of my beautiful host sisters and brother – I imagine there hands touching my face and hair when they first met me, trying to figure out why I was so different from them, the little taps of their fingers on my door and their soft voices telling me it was time to eat breakfast, their giggles, the millions of times they told me they loved me and the afternoons where I would walk home from classes and they would be waiting at the gate yelling my name and jumping up and down, so excited that I was home once again. I think about my counterpart, who shares a piece of my soul and is a better person than I’ll ever be. I think of going out to the real countryside with my amazing Mongolian friend and experiencing true nomadic life. I think of the Volunteer community, Volunteers who connect with me on an entirely different, somewhat disgusting, unique plane of shared experience than anyone else ever could. It gave me a new group of close friends both throughout the United States and Mongolia.  I think of the love I felt from Peace Corps staff and the understanding of the Peace Corps doctors that took care of me physically and emotionally.

 I have gained far more than I ever sacrificed. As proof of this, on Friday, the new staff that I had been working with at the Traditional Medical Center, took me out for a delicious lunch and gave me presents. I had only worked with them for two weeks, but here they were taking time out of their day to spend with me. The doctors I worked with for just two weeks, gave speeches and said how grateful they were to have me. At the end they said I was an angel who blessed their work and that God put me here on this earth to touch the lives of others and they were so grateful for it. Wow. I was speechless.  The director gave me a card which she wrote “Thank you for all your faithful, hard work for our researchers and doctors. We learned many new things including what it is like to have a wonderful teacher. From the bottom of our hearts thank you for you warmhearted, helpful, great job with your beautiful smile.” I have never been so touched in my life. I hope that I can bring back this sense of gratitude for the small things people do and to always remember to thank people no matter how big the deed is. I think that in America we forget to truly thank people, for just being in our lives and it is something that I hope to never stop practicing.

My Peace Corps experience has changed the way in which I view the world and my role in it. It changed what I care about. It changed how I approach my relationship with myself, with others and ultimately how I approach every individual I meet. It changed how I will, one day, raise my children and what values I will try to instill in them. It taught me what I am capable of, alone and in a group.  Peace Corps taught me why the “teach a man to fish and he’ll eat for life” saying is so obviously accurate. It taught me to build upon assets rather than dwell upon deficits to create positive change. 

                     “Being able to touch someone’s day and go home knowing you did something
                      for this world. This is what life is about because your life could end in the next
                      hour and these are the things you will have cherished.”

I experienced days and weeks where it seemed like nothing mattered. There were times where I no longer wanted to try and thought of going home. Those days would flip into moments where every single thing had a purpose and the smallest act brought tears to my eyes. This experience has made me be so grateful that by chance of birth, I was born in a country where people have fought so that I and everyone else can enjoy social safety nets, to help people from following below a certain poverty line. By chance of birth, I’m from a country that, despite its deep and many flaws, seeks to protect its most vulnerable, even if it doesn’t always manage it. By chance of birth, I’m from a country whose citizens have the ability to voice their grievances to a government elected by the people. A country that is by no means perfect, but has the potential to be so, if only we work harder, work together, care about each other more. By chance of birth, I am American, and that is a privilege, it is luck. My Peace Corps service has been difficult and at times I hated it, but ultimately I am the lucky one for having the opportunity to live in Mongolia. **

 “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” ― Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment